Blog 4 of 5 regarding Head Lice Infestations. Why are pesticide based treatments ineffective?
Treating lice infestations has long included the use of neurotoxic pesticides. As lice were able to develop a "knock down resistance" (kdr) to pesticides, per-treatment dosages went up, or new and stronger pesticides were introduced in both over-the-counter and prescription treatments. Their effectiveness, however, has been limited primarily for two reasons.
First, over time, lice have developed resistance to pesticide-based treatments. Consequently, "stronger" pesticide products were introduced. Limiting longer total treatment time and longer direct exposure of these pesticide-based treatments to the scalp is an obvious concern. Use of stronger pesticides has been causally linked to the emergence of resistant lice (‘super lice’), as lice developed resistance to pesticide-based products. Super lice are now present in every state in the US.
More importantly, since pesticide based anti-lice treatments act on the nervous system, and there is no nervous system in a nit, it is fair to assume that they are not effective against nits. The incomplete removal of nits is the primary cause of lice recurrence, and to remove nits, you must dissolve the glue (spumaline) that attaches a nit to a hair strand.
Licemosis Anti Lice Gel System dissolves the spumaline and safely eliminates both nits and lice in one treatment, without the use of pesticides or toxic chemicals.
Licemosis Anti-Lice Gel, by OsmoTherapeutics, Inc.